2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
1 clove garlic, optional
1 large onion, cut into rings
1 large green pepper, thinly sliced
175 g (6 oz) long grain rice
3/4 pint (400 ml) chicken stock
4 large tomatoes, skinned and roughly chopped
freshly ground black pepper
2 wings of skate, about 1.4 kg (2 1/2 lb)
1. Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the crushed clove of garlic if used. Add the onion and pepper and cook gently without browning for about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and chicken stock. Simmer steadily, stirring occasionally, until the rice is cooked and all the liquid absorbed - 15-20 minutes.
2. Just before the rice is cooked stir in the chopped tomatoes. Season well with freshly ground black pepper,
3. While the rice is cooking wash and dry the fish and cut each wing into two or three pieces. Coat thoroughly in seasoned flour.
4. Heat 1 cm (1/2 in) of cooking oil in a frying pan and fry the fish quickly on both sides until pale golden brown, about 5 minutes. Drain on kitchen paper.
5. Pile the rice mixture in the centre of a serving dish surrounded by the fish, sprinkled with chopped parsley.
20 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!