serves 4 - 6
2 x 275 g packs mussels
2 tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
8 plum tomatoes, cut into 8
175 ml white wine
300 g trottole
salt and freshly ground black pepper
juice of 1 lemon
15 g pack fresh basil, torn
1. Clean the mussels by scraping off any barnacles, detaching any beards and scrubbing the shells. Discard any open mussels that do not close when lightly tapped. Put to one side in a bowl of salted cold water.
2. Heat the oil in a heavy based pan and saute the garlic, shallots and chilli until soft.
3. Stir in the tomatoes and wine and reduce gently.
4. Cook the pasta as per pack instructions.
5. Season the tomato base sauce to taste. Then add the drained mussels to the pan. Cover and cook for 4-6 minutes or until the mussels open. Serve immediately with a generous squeezing of lemon juice sprinkled with the torn basil leaves and drained trottole pasta.