275 ml (10 fl oz) 1 1/4 cups water
2 tbsp oil
3 cups (1 lb) 450 g strong brown (wholemeal) bread flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp caster sugar (superfine granulated)
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp instant or fast-acting dried yeast
3 oz (75 g) 7/8 cup brazil nuts, coarsely chopped
glaze to taste
1. Pour the wafer into the breadmaker bucket, then add the oil and half the flour. Sprinkle with the salt, sugar and nutmeg.
2. Cover with the remaining flour and mound the yeast into the centre.
3. Fit the bucket into the breadmaker and set to the programme recommended in the manual (either special if the machine has this setting or basic white or No 1).
4. Add the brazil nuts according to the manual's instructions, usually at the beginning or the middle of the second kneading or when the machine bleeps.
5. When ready, carefully shake the loaf out of the bucket on to a wire cooling rack and stand the right way up.
6. If liked, brush with the selected glaze.
7. Leave the loaf for at least an hour before cutting and/or removing the paddle if necessary.