1. Toast the pine nuts by stirring constantly in a non-stick frying pan over a low heat until lightly golden. Set aside.
2. Put the saffron in a small bowl. Mix in the boiling water and leave aside until cold.
3. Pour the cold water into the breadmaker bucket, then add the oil, saffron and its water with half the flour.
4. Sprinkle with the salt and sugar.
5. Cover with the remaining flour and mound the yeast into the centre.
6. Fit the bucket into the breadmaker and set to the programme recommended in the manual (either special if the machine has this setting or basic white or No 1).
7. Add the pine nuts according to the manual's instructions, usually at the beginning or the middle of the second kneading or when the machine bleeps.
8. When ready, carefully shake the loaf out of the bucket on to a wire cooling rack and stand the right way up.
9. If liked, brush with the selected glaze.
10. Leave the loaf for at least an hour before cutting and/or removing the paddle if necessary.