Crudites (raw vegetables cut into bite sized strips and served with a dip)
serves 4 - 6
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
4 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
1 tablespoon sugar
250 ml (8 fl oz/1 cup) water
2 red chillies
selection of crisp vegetables, such as carrots, celery, a cucumber, radishes and a cauliflower
1. Crush the garlic and place in a small saucepan with the soy sauce, peanut butter, sugar and water.
2. Shred the chillies, removing the seeds.
3. Put the chilli shreds into the pan and heat together. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. If the mixture is very thin, simmer until it thickens slightly. Leave to cool.
5. The sauce sometimes becomes solid when cool. When this happens thin with a little water.
6. Pour into a serving bowl.
7. Prepare the vegetables for dipping. Cut carrots, celery and cucumber into 10 cm (4 in) fingers. Remove stems and roots from radishes. Break the cauliflower into florets — they may be blanched in boiling water if preferred.
8. To serve, surround the bowl of dipping sauce with the vegetables.
21 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!