1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml water
2 tbsp oil
3 cups (1 lb) 450 g country grain strong brown bread flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp soft brown sugar
2 tbsp dried skimmed milk powder or granules
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
1 tbsp dark poppy seeds
1 tsp each caraway or aniseed, cumin, fennel and air-dried black onion seeds
1 1/2 tsp instant or fast-acting dried yeast
glaze to taste
1. Pour the water into the breadmaker bucket, then add the oil and half the flour.
2. Sprinkle with the salt, sugar, dried milk and all the seeds.
3. Cover with the remaining flour and mound the yeast into the centre.
4. Fit the bucket into the breadmaker and set to the programme recommended in the manually (usually wholemeal).
5. When ready, carefully shake the loaf out of the bucket on to a wire cooling rack and stand the right way up.
6. If liked, brush with the selected glaze.
7. Leave the loaf for at least an hour before cutting and/or removing the paddle if necessary.