275 ml (10 fl oz) 1 1/4 cups water
2 tbsp oil
3 cups (450 g) 16 oz soft grain strong white bread flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp (2 1/4 tsp) caster sugar (superfine granulated)
3 tsp (3 1/2 tsp) paprika
1/2 - 3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp dried skimmed milk powder or granules
4 tsp (5 tsp) Dijon mustard
1/3 tsp (1/2 tsp) instant or fast-acting dried yeast
glaze to taste
1. Pour the water into the breadmaker bucket, then add the oil and half the flour.
2. Sprinkle with the salt, sugar, paprika, cayenne pepper and dried milk. Add the mustard.
3. Cover with the remaining flour and mound the yeast into the centre.
4. Fit the bucket into the breadmaker and set to the programme recommended in the manual (usually basic white or No 1).
5. When ready, carefully shake the loaf out of the bucket on to a wire cooling rack and stand the right way up.
6. If liked, brush with the selected glaze.
7. Leave the loaf for at least an hour before cutting and/or removing the paddle if necessary.