2 tbsp (30 ml) corn oil
1 lb (450 g) lean rump steak in a thin slice, cut into thin strips
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 medium onion, skinned and finely chopped
8 oz (225 g) button mushrooms, wiped and thinly sliced
1 level tsp (5 ml) French mustard
2 tsp (10 ml) chopped fresh thyme or 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) dried
1 green dessert apple, thinly sliced
5 fl oz (142 ml) soured cream
1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
To make your own soured cream, stir 5 ml (1 tsp) lemon juice into 150 ml (1/4 pint) fresh single cream and leave it to stand for 30 minutes.
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. When hot quickly brown steak in a shallow layer, turning occasionally. Don't crowd the pan, the meat should remain pink in the centre.
2. Transfer the beef to a bowl using a slotted spoon. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Reheat residual fat; fry the onion until golden brown. Add the mushrooms, mustard and thyme. Fry over high heat for 1 minute. Add to the beef, cover and leave to cool.
4. Combine the apple with the soured cream and lemon juice in a bowl.
5. To serve, line a shallow dish with crisp lettuce. Combine contents of bowls. Check seasoning and pile into centre of lettuce.
6. Tuck in slices of freshly toasted bread.
24 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!