1/4 cup (100 g) 4 oz ready-to-eat dried apricots, rinsed and chopped
1 large eating apple, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
finely grated rind of 1 lemon
25 g (1 oz) sultanas (golden raisins)
1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) ground cinnamon
2.5ml (1/2 tsp) Mixed Spice (All Spice / Pumpkin pie spice)
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 cup (25 g) 1 oz ground almonds
2/3 cup (100 g) 4 oz plain wholemeal flour (whole grain)
3/4 cup (100 g) 4 oz plain flour (All purpose)
pinch of salt
4 oz (100 g) polyunsaturated margarine
semi-skimmed milk and 2 tbsp (30 ml) light muscovado sugar, to glaze
1. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside.
2. Put the apricots into a small saucepan and add 225 ml (8 fl oz) water.
3. Bring to the boil, cover tightly and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add the apple, lemon rind, sultanas, cinnamon, mixed spice and nutmeg.
5. Cook, covered, for about 10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has been absorbed and the mixture is a soft pulp.
6. Stir in the almonds and leave to cool.
7. To make the pastry, put the flours and salt into a bowl and rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
8. Add enough chilled water to form a smooth dough.
9. Roll out thinly on a lightly floured surface to a 30 x 40 cm (12 x 16 inch) rectangle.
10. Cut the pastry into 10 cm (4 inch) squares.
11. Put 15 ml (1 tbsp) fruit filling just off the centre of each square.
12. Brush the edges lightly with water and fold over to form a triangle. Seal and crimp the edges.
13. Place the turnovers on the prepared baking sheet, glaze with the milk and sprinkle evenly with the sugar.
14. Bake at 190°C (375°F) mark 5 for 15 - 20 minutes, until golden brown.
15. Cool on a wire rack and serve warm or cold.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!