makes 12 slices
finely grated rind and juice of 1 small orange
2 tbsp (30 ml) medium-dry sherry
1 tsp (5 ml) ground Mixed Spice (All Spice / Pumpkin pie spice)
350 g (12 oz) mixed dried fruit, rinsed and chopped
2 oz (50 g) glace cherries, (naturally coloured) well rinsed and chopped
2 oz (50 g) chopped mixed peel, rinsed
4 oz (100 g) polyunsaturated margarine
1/2 cup (100 g) 4 oz light muscovado sugar
2 eggs, size 2
1 1/3 cup (200 g) 7 oz plain wholemeal flour (whole grain)
1 tbsp (15 ml) blanched almonds
1. Grease and line a 15 cm (6 inch) round deep cake tin and set aside.
2. Place the orange rind and juice in a mixing bowl with the sherry and spice and mix together.
3. Add the dried fruit, cherries and mixed peel and stir well.
4. Cover and soak at least 12 hours, stirring occasionally.
5. Beat the margarine and sugar together in a mixing bowl until pale and creamy, then beat in the eggs one at a time, adding 15 ml (1 tbsp) of the flour with each egg.
6. Fold in the remaining flour with the soaked dried fruits to give a 'dropping' consistency.
7. Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and level the surface.
8. Arrange the almonds on top of the cake, pressing in gently.
9. Bake at 150°C (300°f) mark 2 for 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 hours, until golden brown and firm to the touch in the centre and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
10. Cover with a sheet of aluminium foil if the cakes start to overbrown.
11. Cool in the tin before turning out on to a wire rack. When cold, store in an airtight container.
43 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!