350 g (12 oz) broccoli, divided into stalks and small florets
900 ml (1 1/2 pints) chicken stock
25 g (1 oz) polyunsaturated margarine
1 onion, skinned and chopped
3 tbls (25 g) 1 oz plain flour (All purpose)
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt semi skimmed milk
rind and juice of 1 large orange, with rind cut into fine strips
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Peel the broccoli stalks if thick and roughly chop. Set aside with half the broccoli florets.
2. Bring the stock to the boil in a saucepan. Add the remaining florets and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove and reserve. Set the stock aside.
3. Heat the margarine in a saucepan, add the onion and cook gently for 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
4. Gradually add the stock, stirring until thickened and smooth. Add the uncooked broccoli stalks and florets. Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.
5. Put the soup into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
6. Return to the pan with the milk, 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) of the orange rind, the orange juice and seasoning.
7. Reheat the soup gently.
8. Before serving, add the broccoli florets to the soup and reheat.
9. Sprinkle with remaining orange rind.
32 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!