serves 8 - 10
1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) 50 g butter or margarine
1/4 cup (50 g) 2 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
175 g ratafias, finely crushed
1 tbsp rum
for the filling
350 g full fat soft cheese
3 eggs, separated
good pinch of ground Mixed Spice (All Spice / Pumpkin pie spice)
few drops of rum essence
1/2 cup (100 g) 4 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
2 level tbsp plain flour (All purpose)
1 tbsp ground almonds
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt double or whipping cream
50 g chopped mixed peel
50 g glace cherries, chopped
25 g sultanas (golden raisins)
25 g nuts, chopped
grated rind of 1 orange
for the topping
1 1/2 cups (225 g) icing sugar (confectioners sugar), sifted
1 egg white, lightly whisked
small sprigs of holly
accompaniments (you may need these)
Preheat an oven to 160°C, 325°F, gas mark 3.
1. Melt the butter or margarine and sugar in a saucepan over a gentle heat and stir in the ratafia crumbs and rum.
2. Press evenly over the bottom of a greased loose-bottomed 18-20 cm/7-8 inch round cake tin. Chill while you make the filling.
3. Soften the cheese in a large mixing bowl. Beat in the egg yolks, mixed spice, rum essence, 50 g (2 oz) of the caster sugar, the flour, ground almonds and cream.
4. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then whisk in the remaining caster sugar.
5. Fold lightly but thoroughly into the cheese mixture, together with the peel, fruit, nuts and orange rind.
6. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface.
7. Bake in a preheated oven for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours or until firm but still spongy to the touch.
8. Turn off the oven, open the door and leave the cheesecake to cool in the oven for 1 hour.
9. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Add the egg white and beat to give a stiffish smooth icing.
10. Ease the sides of the tin carefully away from the cheesecake and lift the cheesecake out on the tin base.
11. Spoon the icing over the top of the cheesecake and chill for 2-3 hours.
12. Decorate with small sprigs of holly or a similar Christmas decoration.
42 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!