A great sauce for eggs, fish, pasta and vegetables.
1/2 pint (300 ml) white sauce (see below)
2 oz (50 g) mature Cheddar cheese
1/2 level teaspoon dry mustard
1 pinch cayenne pepper
for the basic white sauce
3 tbsp (1 1/2 oz) 40 g butter
1/3 cup (1 1/2 oz) 40 g flour
2 3/4 cups (21 fl oz) 600 ml milk
salt and freshly ground black pepper
to make cheese sauce
1. Beat the grated cheese into the sauce until smooth.
2. Season with mustard and cayenne
to make white sauce
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and cook for 1 minute stirring.
2. Gradually blend in the milk and bring to the boil, stirring until thickened.
3. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes. Season to taste.
4 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!