2 cups (225 g) self-raising flour
1/2 stick (2 oz) 50 g butter
2 tbls (25 g) caster sugar (superfine granulated)
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pint milk and water, mixed
milk, for brushing
1. Heat the oven to 425°F (220°C) gas mark 7. Lightly grease a baking tray.
2. Measure the flour into a howl. Cut the butter into small pieces, then rub into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar. Mix in enough of the milk and water to give a soft dough.
3. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and roll out thickly. With a plain cutter, cut into 1 1/2 inch (4 cm) rounds.
4. Arrange on the tray, brush the tops with a little milk and bake in the oven for about 10 - 15 minutes, until well risen and golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
5. Split open the scones and serve with butter.