Spiced beef takes 15 days to fully mature but is well worth the wait.
8 lb (3.5 kg) piece rolled brisket or silverside (beefcut from the rump), boned and trimmed
3/4 oz (20 g) allspice berries
1/2 cup (90 g) soft brown sugar
6 oz (175 g) sea salt 1 1/2 oz (40 g) black peppercorns
1/2 oz (15 g) cardamom seeds
2 bay leaves, crumbled 10 fl oz (300 ml) hot water
1. Rub the meat with the sugar and place in a large, glazed pan or pot, not aluminium, in which the meat can lie flat.
2. Cover with a cloth and leave in a cool place for 2 days. Crush together the sea salt and all the spices (except the bay leaves) in a blender or with a mortar and pestle, then add the bay leaves.
3. Rub into the meat and leave in a cool place. Turn and baste the beef every 2 days for 12 days.
4. Take the meat from the pan and wipe clean. Place in a baking pan and add the hot water.
5. Cover with layers of foil or put on a lid. Bake in the oven for 6 hours in a Pre-Heated oven Gas Mark 1, 250°F (130°C ) then remove. When cool, wrap the beef in greaseproof paper and let it stand for 12 hours.
6. Keep it in a cool place at all times. Slice thinly across the grain to serve.
35 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!