1 onion, skinned and finely chopped
3 sticks celery, cleaned and chopped
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz butter
3 slices brown bread, crusts removed
4 oz (100 g) peeled prawns
3 oz (75 g) Lancashire cheese, grated
2 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt milk
parsley sprigs to garnish
1. Saute the onion and celery in butter without browning.
2. Cut the bread into 1 cm (1/2 inch) cubes, add to the vegetables in the saucepan and toss until coated with butter.
3. Lightly butter four large ramekin dishes. Divide a third of the bread mixture between each dish and use to cover the bases. Reserve four prawns for garnish and layer the rest with the cheese and the bread mixture, ending with a bread layer.
4. Beat together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over the bread mixture.
5. Bake in the oven at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 for 35-40 minutes. Serve hot, garnished with parsley and remaining prawns.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!