3 1/2 cups plain white flour
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk, warm
1/2 stick (2 oz) 50 g butter
2 tbsp yogurt
2 tsp sugar
1 envelope (8 g) active dry yeast
for the topping
3 tbsp butter, melted 45 mL
2 tbsp sesame or poppy seeds 30 mL
1. Combine 3 cups of white flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center.
2. Mix warm milk, butter and yogurt. Pour into the well.
3. Sprinkle sugar and yeast over the milk mixture. Let stand for 10 minutes.
4. Beat with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until smooth and elastic. If necessary, add more flour to make a soft dough which leaves the sides of bowl.
5. Turn out onto floured board. Round up into a ball.
6. Knead the dough, adding more flour as necessary until smooth and elastic.
7. Place in a lightly greased bowl. Turn the dough to grease the top. Cover with greased waxed paper and tea towel.
8. Let rise in warm place at 75 - 85°F (24 - 29°C) until doubled in size (45 - 60 minutes).
9. Punch down. Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead for 1 minute.
10. Divide dough into 8 portions. Shape each into a ball. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
11. Shape one ball at a time, keeping remaining balls covered. Roll dough into a circle 1/4" (1 cm) thick keeping it thin in the centre and thicker around the edges. Pull one end outward to make a tear drop shape. Repeat with the remaining balls
12. Brush the dough with melted butter and sprinkle with seeds. Brush the baking sheets with water. Put 2 or 3 naans on each sheet.
13. Bake at 450°F (230°C) for 5 - 6 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
14. To keep breads soft, wrap in tea towels for 5 minutes after baking. Store in plastic bags.
38 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!