Mornay sauce is a popular accompaniment for chicken, eggs, veal, fish, vegetables and pasta dishes.
1/2 pint Bechamel sauce
2 oz grated Parmesan or gruyere cheese
for the bechamel sauce
1/2 pint milk
1/2 small bay leaf
1 sprig of thyme
1/2 small onion
1/4 level tsp grated nutmeg
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
1/4 cup (1 oz) 30 g plain flour (All purpose)
salt and black pepper
2 - 3 tbsp single or double cream (heavy cream)
1. Prepare the bechamel sauce (see below).
2. Blend the cheese into the sauce. Do not re-heat.
to make the bechamel sauce
1. Put the milk with the bay leaf, thyme, onion and nutmeg in a pan, and bring slowly to the boil.
2. Remove from the heat, cover with a lid and leave the milk to infuse for 15 minutes.
3. In a clean heavy-based pan, melt the butter, stir in the flour and cook the roux for 3 minutes.
4. Strain the milk through a fine sieve and gradually blend it into the roux. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously, then simmer for 2-3 minutes.
5. Adjust seasoning and stir in the cream.
7 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!