1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) 2 oz (50 g) butter
2 medium onions, skinned and roughly chopped
175 g (6 oz) boiled bacon, finely chopped
2 cup (225 g) 8 oz apple, peeled and cored
8 oz (225 g) frozen cut beans, cooked
1 level tbsp (15 ml) whole grain mustard
2 level tbsp plain flour (All purpose)
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml milk
125 g (4 oz) Cheddar cheese
salt and freshly ground pepper
8 pancakes (see below)
chopped fresh parsley to garnish
1. Melt 25 g (1 oz) butter in a deep frying pan and fry the onion until softened. Stir in the bacon, apple and beans and saute for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the mustard.
2. Melt the remaining butter in a pan, stir in the flour and cook gently for 1 minute, stirring. Remove pan from the heat and gradually stir in the milk. Bring to the boil slowly and continue to cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Simmer for a further 2-3 minutes. Add the cheese and seasoning.
3. Fill the pancakes with the bacon filling and roll or fold up. Place side by side in a ovenproof dish and spoon over the cheese sauce.
4. Heat in the oven at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for 25 - 30 minutes. Serve garnished with parsley.
125 g (4 oz) flour
1.25 ml (1/4 level tsp) salt
300 ml (1/2 pint) milk
butter for frying
1. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl, make a well in the centre and add the egg. Beat with a wooden spoon, adding the milk gradually, until incorporated.
2. To make pancakes. Heat a little butter in a 18 cm (7 inch) heavy-based frying pan until very hot, running it round to coat the sides of the pan; pour off any surplus.
3. Ladle or pour in a little batter, rotating the pan at the same time, until enough batter is added to give a thin coating.
4. Cook until the pancake begins to curl around the edges, revealing a golden-brown colour underneath. Ease a palette knife under the centre and flip over.
5. Fry the other side until golden brown, then turn on to a warm plate and cover. Continue cooking pancakes until all the batter is used, adding a small knob of butter to the pan each time.
6. Serve immediately, sprinkled with sugar and lemon juice. Or fill with a sweet or savoury filling.
180 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!