375 g pack chilled sweet shortcrust pastry
4 small apples (such as Cox's or Granny Smiths) peeled and cored
beaten egg or milk to glaze
1 level tbsp (15 ml) caster sugar (superfine granulated) (optional)
small knob of butter
50 g pecan nut halves, chopped
1/4 tsp spoon cinnamon or Mixed Spice (All Spice / Pumpkin pie spice)
25 g sultanas (golden raisins)
2 tsp spoons golden syrup (substitute light corn syrup)
142 ml carton double cream (heavy cream)
100 g deluxe Belgian dark chocolate, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4.
2. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to form a square with sides approximately 30cm in length. Cut into 4 equal sized squares.
3. Heat the butter in a pan and stir in the pecans, spice, sultanas and golden syrup. Allow to cool and spoon into the apple cavities.
4. Place a square of pastry over an apple, trim and tuck the edges underneath. Repeat with the remaining 3 apples. Use the pastry trimmings to make a ribbon around each 'egg' with a bow at the front or on top.
5. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and glaze. Sprinkle over the sugar if using and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until golden. Meanwhile gently heat the cream and stir into the warm melted chocolate to make a delicious sauce.
6. Also delicious served with ice cream or custard.