900g (2 lb) beef, cut into 5 cm (2in) pieces
1 boiling fowl, jointed
1 calfs foot, divided into 8 pieces
4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced thickly
4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
4 cobs of sweetcorn, halved
2 large onions, peeled and chopped
8 slices of liver sausage
8 thick rashers of bacon
8 pieces of pumpkin, about 7.5cm (3 in) square
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Half fill a very large saucepan with water, bring to the boil and add a little salt.
2. Put the beef, fowl and calfs foot into the boiling water and bring to a gentle simmer.
3. Skim the surface and allow to cook for 1 1/2 hours.
4. Add all the other ingredients and salt and pepper to taste. Add more water if necessary.
5. Cook gently until the vegetables are tender.