1 stick (8 Tbsp) 115 g (4 oz) unsalted butter
1/2 cup (125 g) 4 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
2 egg yolks
grated rind 1 lemon
200 g (7 oz) plain flour (All purpose) and 1 level tsp Mixed Spice (All Spice / Pumpkin pie spice), sieved together
2 oz (50 g) currants
1 egg white, beaten
granulated sugar to sprinkle
1. These biscuits are traditionally tied in bundles of three to represent the Trinity and eaten after church on Easter morning. They are crisp and buttery, and a treat to eat at any time!
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
3. Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and cream together. Beat in the egg yolks and lemon rind.
4. Stir in the sieved flour and currants and mix together using your hands. Knead lightly until smooth.
5. Roll out on a lightly floured board to about 1/2cm (1/4 inch) thick. Using a cutter, stamp out biscuits and put on a baking tray. Brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
6. Bake in the oven for about 12-15 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
9 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!