8 oz (225 g) low-fat soft cheese or natural Quark
3 oz (75 g) low-fat Cheshire cheese, finely grated
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground mace or grated nutmeg
2 tbsp (30 ml) red or white wine
3 tbsp (60 ml) snipped fresh chives or trimmed and chopped spring onions, or chopped fresh herbs such as thyme, sage, marjoram, basil, parsley or dill
pepper, to taste
2 eating apples
1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
2 large carrots, scrubbed and cut into sticks
4 large celery sticks, trimmed and cut into sticks
wholemeal crispbread or thin wholemeal toast
1. Place the soft cheese in a mixing bowl. Add the Cheshire cheese, mace, wine, herbs and seasoning and mix well with a fork.
2. Transfer the mixture to a serving dish or 4 small individual bowls.
3. Cover with aluminium foil and chill until ready to serve.
4. Core and slice the apples, then gently toss in the lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
5. Arrange with the carrot and celery sticks on a large platter or individual dishes around the potted cheese.
6. Serve the cheese mixture with slices of crispbread or thin toast.
13 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!