makes 6 slices
1/2 cup (75 g) plain wholemeal flour
3/4 cup (75 g) 3 oz plain flour (All purpose)
3 oz (75 g) polyunsaturated margarine
2 tbsp (30 ml) corn oil
3 onions, skinned and thinly sliced
6 spring onions, trimmed and cut diagonally into 2.5 cm (1 inch) pieces
75 ml (5 tbsp) semi-skimmed milk
3 eggs, beaten
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) cayenne pepper
1. Put the flours into a mixing bowl and rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Mix to a firm but pliable dough with about 30ml (2 tbsp) cold water
3. Knead on a lightly floured surface. Roll out the dough and use to line a 120 cm (8 inch) loose-based flan tin. Chill for 30 minutes.
4. Place a sheet of greaseproof paper in the base of the flan case, cover with baking beans and bake at 200°C (400°f) mark 6 for 15 minutes.
5. Remove the beans and paper, then bake 5 minutes more.
6. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan and cook the onions for 6 - 8 minutes, until transparent.
7. Drain off the oil, then place the onions in the partially baked flan case.
8. Beat the semi-skimmed milk with the eggs and add the cayenne pepper.
9. Pour into the partially baked flan case and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the filling is set and golden.
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!