makes 20 slices
1 sachet easy blend dried yeast
3 cups (350 g) 3/4 lb strong plain wholemeal flour (bread flour)
5-10 ml (1-2 tsp) ground cinnamon
2 oz (50 g) polyunsaturated margarine
2 tbsp (30 ml) clear honey
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt tepid semi-skimmed milk
for the filling
4 oz (100 g) poppyseeds
25 g (1 oz) walnut halves, chopped
2 tbsp (30 ml) honey
1 tsp (5 ml) grated orange rind
2 tbsp (30 ml) orange juice
few drops of vanilla essence (optional)
1. Grease a baking sheet and set aside.
2. Mix the yeast, flour, cinnamon, margarine, honey and eggs, reserving some egg to glaze.
3. Add enough milk to give a soft, knead-able dough. Knead for 8 minutes on a floured surface. Cover with clean tea-cloth.
4. In a blender or food processor, grind all but 15 ml (1 tbsp) of the poppy-seeds with just enough water to enable the machine to work.
5. Place the poppyseeds in a saucepan. Add the remaining filling ingredients. Heat gently, stirring, until thick. Set aside and cool.
6. Roll out the dough to a 45 x 25 cm (18 x10 inch) rectangle. Spread the filling over.
7. Roll up the dough loosely from one narrow end like a Swiss roll.
8. Place on the baking sheet. Cover with a clean cloth and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
9. Brush with the reserved egg and sprinkle with poppyseeds.
10. Bake at 230°C (450°f) mark 8 for 10 minutes.
11. Reduce the heat to 200°C (400°f) mark 6 and bake for 20 minutes.