4 oz (100 g) shortcrust pastry
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
1 tbls (14 g) 1 1/2 oz flour
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) vanilla flavouring
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt milk
1 lb (450 g) strawberries, hulled
2 tbsp (30 ml) red currant jelly
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt fresh double cream (heavy cream)
1 tbsp (15 ml) milk
1 tbls (15 ml) spoon icing sugar (confectioners sugar) sifted icing sugar
2 tsp (10 ml) orange juice or sherry
1. Roll out the pastry. Use it to line a 15 - 18 cm (6 - 7 inch) fluted flan ring resting on a lightly buttered baking tray. Prick well all over.
2. Line with foil and bake blind in the oven at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 for 15 minutes.
3. Remove the foil, return the flan to the oven and bake for a further 15 minutes until crisp and golden. Remove and cool.
4. Beat the egg yolk and sugar together until thick and light.
5. Stir in the flour and vanilla and gradually blend in the milk.
6. Pour into a small saucepan and cook, stirring, until the mixture comes to the boil and thickens. Simmer for 3 minutes. Remove
7. When completely cold, spread over the base of the flan case, cover with strawberries and brush with melted red currant jelly.
8. Beat the fresh cream and milk together until thick. Stir in the sugar and either orange juice or sherry.
9. Pipe or spoon the mixture over the fruit filling. Chill for 30 minutes before serving. Serves 6