A smooth chocolate sauce for steamed or baked puddings.
makes 1/2 pint (300 ml)
2 oz.(50 g) bitter chocolate
2 level teaspoons cornflour
7 fluid oz. (200 ml) water, less 1 tablespoon
1/2 stick (2 oz) 50 g Butter, Softened
1/3 cup (65 g) caster sugar (superfine granulated)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1. Break the chocolate into small pieces. Blend the cornflour with 2 tablespoons of the measured water in a small bowl or cup.
2. Put the chocolate in a small pan, add the rest of the water, and
3. cook over low heat until dissolved and smooth. Do not allow the chocolate mixture to boil Stir the blended cornflour quickly into the chocolate, add the butter and sugar.
4. Cook the chocolate sauce for a few minutes, stirring continuously, then add vanilla essence to taste.
5. Serve the sauce hot with poached pears and steamed or baked puddings.
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!