1 aubergine (egg plant), about 8 oz (225 g)
1 garlic clove, skinned and crushed
1 fresh green chilli, seeded and chopped
150 g (5 oz) low-fat soft cheese
1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
pepper, to taste
4 oz (100 g) tomatoes, finely chopped
fresh sage sprigs, to garnish
bread sticks, cut into 7.5 cm (3 inch) pieces,
toasted wholemeal bread and small chunks of fresh pineapple and melon, to serve
1. Prick the aubergine in several places with a fork and place on a baking sheet.
2. Cook the aubergine at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 for about 30-40 minutes or until the skin starts to wrinkle and the flesh feels soft.
3. Set the aubergine aside for about 20 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
4. Peel, discarding the skin, stalk and any charred flesh. Chop the aubergine coarsely.
5. Put into a blender or food processor together with the garlic, chilli, cheese and lemon juice, and puree until smooth.
6. Transfer to a small bowl.
7. Add pepper and mix in the tomatoes.
8. To serve, place the dip in a small serving bowl and garnish with sprigs of sage.
9. On a separate serving platter arrange the pieces of bread sticks, toasted wholemeal bread and the fresh pineapple and melon.
11 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!