1 cup (100 g) 4 oz self raising (self rising) flour
2/3 cup (100 g) 4 oz plain wholemeal flour (whole grain)
1 level tsp (5 ml) baking powder
2 oz (50 g) polyunsaturated margarine, chilled
1/4 cup (50 g) 2 oz ready-to-eat dried apricots, rinsed and roughly chopped
40 g (1 1/2 oz) natural roasted peanuts shelled and with or without skins, coarsely chopped
1 egg, size 2, beaten
2 tbsp (30 ml) Greek strained yogurt
4 tbsp (60 ml) semi-skimmed milk
2 tbsp (30 ml) cracked wheat
1. Sift the flours and baking powder into a bowl, adding any bran left in the sieve.
2. Rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then mix in the apricots and the peanuts.
3. Mix the egg with the yogurt and 45 ml (3 tbsp) of the milk.
4. Add to the dry ingredients and mix to a fairly soft dough.
5. Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface and roll out to about 2 cm (3/4 inch) thick.
6. With a round pastry cutter, stamp out ten 5 cm (2 inch) rounds.
7. Place on non-stick, or lightly greased, baking sheets, allowing room for spreading.
8. Lightly brush the tops with the remaining milk and sprinkle with the cracked wheat.
9. Bake at 190°C (375°F) mark 5 for 15 minutes, until risen and golden brown.
10. Serve warm, or cool.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!