about 1 kg (2 1/4 lb) oxtail, well trimmed and cut into joints
3 onions, 1 skinned and quartered, 2 skinned and chopped
1 carrot, scrubbed and cut into large pieces
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp (30 ml) corn oil
2 celery sticks, sliced
2 level tbsp plain flour (All purpose)
175 g (6 oz) fresh or frozen cranberries
1. Place the oxtail joints, quartered onion, carrot and bay leaf in a large saucepan with 1 litre (1 3/4 pints) water.
2. Season and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 2-3 hours.
3. Remove the oxtail joints with a slotted spoon and set aside. Chill the stock for about 3 hours or until the fat solidifies on the surface. Remove the fat.
4. Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the chopped onion and celery and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Stir in the flour, then add 600 ml (1 pint) of the skimmed oxtail stock and bring to the boil stirring, until thickened.
6. Place the oxtail joints in a casserole dish and scatter over the cranberries.
7. Pour over the sauce and cover.
8. Cook at 180°C (350°f) mark 4 for about 1 hour, until heated through.
20 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!