2/3 cup (100 g) 4 oz plain wholemeal flour
1 egg, beaten
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml semi-skimmed milk
2 tbsp (30 ml) corn oil
for the filling
75 ml (3 fl oz) dry white wine
800 g (1 lb 12 oz) can tomatoes
1 onion, skinned and chopped
2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh basil or 1 tbsp (15 ml) dried
3 oz (75 g) stuffed olives, chopped
2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato puree (paste)
salt and pepper, to taste
175 g (6 oz) mozzarella cheese
1. To make the filling, put the wine, tomatoes with their juices, onion and basil in a saucepan.
2. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes, until the onion is soft.
3. Add the olives and tomato puree and cook for a further 5 - 10 minutes, until thick. Season.
4. To make pancakes, put the flour into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the egg, whisking continuously.
5. Gradually add the milk, drawing in the flour from the outside of the bowl, to form a smooth batter.
6. Heat the oil in a 20.5cm (8 inch) frying pan until very hot.
7. Pour off oil into a heatproof container.
8. Add just enough batter to coat the base of pan and swirl lightly.
9. Cook for 3-4 minutes, turn over and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
10. Make 7 pancakes with remaining batter.
11. Put one pancake in a heatproof dish and spread a little filling over.
12. Grate half of the mozzarella and sprinkle a little over the filling.
13. Top with another pancake and repeat process, finishing with a tomato layer.
14. Slice the remaining mozzarella and arrange on top.
15. Bake at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for 20 25 minutes, until golden brown.
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!