5 g (1 oz) brown rice
550-700 g (1 1/4 - 1 1/2 lb) pork fillet
small onion, skinned and chopped
2 oz (50 g) redcurrants
1/2 cup (100 g) 4 oz apricots, chopped
1 cup (100 g) 4 oz cooking apple, peeled, cored and chopped
finely grated rind of 1 small orange
2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp (30 ml) unsweetened orange juice
1 tsp (5 ml) no-added-sugar apricot jam
1. Put the rice in 150 ml (1/4 pint) of boiling water. Reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until just tender and all the liquid is absorbed.
2. Meanwhile, split open the pork fillet lengthways, without cutting it in half.
3. Spread the meat out flat, cut side down, cover with greaseproof paper and pound with a flat mallet to form a 30 x 20.5 cm (12 x 8 inch) rectangle.
4. Put the onion in a bowl with the redcurrants, apricots, apple, orange rind, 15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped parsley, seasoning and cooked rice. Mix together well
5. Spoon the stuffing over the pork fillet and spread to within 4 cm (1 1/2 inches) of the edge. Fold over the 2 short ends of the port fillet, then roll up, Swiss-roll fashion, from a long side. Tie the roll with string at 4 cm (1 1/2 inch) intervals.
6. Place the meat on a piece of aluminium foil and spoon 15 ml (1 tbsp) orange juice over. Wrap the foil loosely around the meat and seal the top.
7. Place on a baking sheet. Cook at 190°C (375°F) mark 5 for 45 minutes.
8. Fold back the foil, baste the meat with the cooking juices and cook for further 10 minutes.
9. Remove the meat from the oven and keep warm on a serving plate.
10. Pour the juices from the foil into a saucepan and add the remaining orange juice and jam.
11. Bring to the boil and cook until reduced by half.
12. Strain, then stir in the remaining chopped parsley.
13. Remove the string and serve the meat, cut into slices, with a little sauce poured over.
13. Serve the remaining sauce separately.
7 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!