1.8 kg (4 lb) fava beans, shelled
1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) 2 oz (50 g) butter
5 level tbsp (75 ml) flour
400 ml (3/4 pint) chicken stock
salt and freshly ground pepper
2 egg yolks
90 ml (6 tbsp) fresh single cream
3 tbsp (60 ml) chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
1. Wash the beans well and drain. Cook in a large pan of boiling salted water for about 15 minutes until tender. Drain and place in a vegetable dish. Keep warm, covered.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour and cook gently for 1 minute, stirring. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the stock.
3. Bring to the boil, and continue to cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Season and simmer for about 5 minutes.
4. Beat the egg yolks with the fresh cream in a small basin, add about 90 m (6 tbsp) hot sauce and stir until blended.
5. Remove the pan from the heat, add the egg mixture and stir well. Cook over a low heat without boiling until the sauce thickens a little more.
6. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley and lemon juice. Adjust seasoning and pour over the broad beans.