4 pigs trotters, trimmed
1 onion, skinned and sliced
1 carrot, pared and sliced
1/2 leek, sliced
1 clove garlic
pinch dried rosemary
pinch dried thyme
400-600 ml (1/2 - 3/4 pt) white wine
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
3 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
30 ml (2 level tbsps) tomato paste
1. Halve the trotters, wash them well and leave to soak for some hours in cold water.
2. Drain and put in a casserole with the vegetables, herbs and pepper. Cover with white wine and leave to marinade for 3 days in the refrigerator.
3. Drain the trotters, parboil them, drain and add the marinade, vegetables, olive oil, tomatoes and tomato paste; Simmer gently for 4 hours.
4. Strain the sauce and flavour with Madeira wine.
5. Dish up the trotters and serve with the sauce, accompanied by noodles.
27 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!