1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) 50 g butter or margarine
1/4 cup (50 g) 2 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
100 g chocolate-coated digestive biscuits, finely crushed
grated rind of 1 orange
for the filling
225 g full fat soft cheese
2 eggs, separated
3/4 cup (175 g) 6 oz sugar
grated rind of 1-2 oranges
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt soured cream
20 g powdered gelatine
5 tbsp water
for the topping
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt double or whipping cream, whipped
1 x 175 g jar cranberry sauce
1 x 300 g (10 1/2 oz) can mandarin oranges, drained
1. Preparation time: 1 hour 25 minutes (plus chilling)
2. Melt the butter or margarine and sugar in a saucepan over a gentle heat and stir in the biscuit crumbs and orange rind.
3. Press evenly over the bottom of a greased loose-bottomed 18-20 cm/7-8 inch round cake tin. Chill while you make the filling.
4. Soften the cheese in a large mixing bowl. Beat in the egg yolks, 75g/3oz of the caster sugar, the orange rind, cranberry sauce and soured cream.
5. Put the gelatine and water into a small heatproof bowl over a saucepan of hot water and stir until the gelatine has dissolved.
6. Beat the gelatine into the cheese mixture. Leave on one side until the mixture is on the point of setting.
7. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then whisk in the remaining caster sugar. Fold lightly but thoroughly into the cheese mixture.
8. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and shake the tin gently to level the surface. Chill for 3-4 hours or until the filling is set.
9. Carefully release the sides of the tin from the cheesecake and lift the set cheesecake out on the tin base.
10. Pipe the whipped cream on top of the cheesecake, dividing it into 6 or 8 equal sections.
11. Fill alternate sections with cranberry sauce and mandarin oranges.