1. Split the calves' foot or trotters, washing and scraping them well.
2. Put all the ingredients together in a covered pan. Add the bones of the meat you are using, eg. rabbit, chicken etc.
3. Simmer continuously for 3 - 4 hours.
4. Strain through a piece of muslin into a clean pan and boil until the quantity is reduced to under a pint.
5. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
6. This can be poured into a raised pie which is to be eaten cold, and makes a good thick jelly.
7. If you really can't face doing this, use 2 level tablespoons gelatine to 300 ml (1/2 pint) stock.