1 packet red jelly
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml boiling water
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 vinegar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 lb (450 g) cooked beetroot (beet)
2 crisp eating apples
2 oz (50 g) shelled walnuts
lettuce or Watercress (salad cress), optional
1. Break up the jelly tablet and dissolve in the boiling water.
2. Mix together the vinegar and lemon juice, make this up to 1/2 pt (300 ml) with cold water and add this liquid to the hot jelly liquid.
3. Peel and slice the cooked beetroot.
4. Peel, core and slice the apples.
5. Place the walnuts in the base of a 2 pint (1.2 L) ring mould and add the beetroot and apple in layers.
6. Pour over the liquid jelly and leave in a cool place to set.
7. To serve, unmould onto a flat dish and surround with lettuce or watercress.