8 oz (225 g) butter
1 cup (8 oz) 225 g caster sugar (superfine granulated)
4 eggs, beaten
2 1/4 cups (8 oz) 225 g plain flour, sifted
8 oz (225 g) seedless raisins
8 oz (225 g) mixed currants and sultanas (golden raisins)
4 oz (110 g) glace cherries, halved, rinsed and dried
1/4 tsp ground Mixed Spice (All Spice / Pumpkin pie spice)
1 tbsp brandy
walnut halves to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C) gas mark 2.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
3. Gradually beat in the eggs.
4. Fold in the flour, fruit, salt and spice and add enough brandy to bring the mixture to a soft dropping consistency.
5. Grease a deep 8 inch (20 cm) round cake tin and line with greaseproof paper.
6. Pile in the cake mixture, level the top and decorate with walnut halves.
7. Bake in the oven for 2 - 2 1/2 hours.
8. Leave in the cake tin for 30 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
62 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!