makes about 30
2 cups (225 g) 8 oz self-raising flour
pinch of salt
2/3 cup (150 g) 5 oz butter
3/4 cup less 1 tbsp (100 g) icing sugar (confectioners sugar), sieved
1 level tsp (5 ml) finely grated lemon rind
beaten egg to mix
1. Sift flour and salt into a bowl, then rub in butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add sugar and lemon rind, and mix to very stiff dough with beaten egg.
2. Turn out on to lightly floured work surface. Knead gently until smooth. Wrap in cling film or foil. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3. Roll the dough out fairly thinly. Cut into about thirty rounds with a 5 cm (2 inch) plain or fluted biscuit cutter.
4. Place on buttered baking trays. Prick biscuits well with fork.
5. Bake in the oven at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for about 12 - 15 minutes, until pale golden.
6. Leave on trays for 2-3 minutes, then cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight tin.