4 roasting joint (large cut of meat with bone; roast)s of chicken, skinned
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 rounded tablespoon apricot jam
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 large clove garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1. Heat the oven to 350°F (180°C) gas mark 4.
2. Season the chicken joints well on both sides and arrange in a shallow ovenproof dish so that they just touch.
3. Measure the jam into a bowl, add the mustard, cayenne, garlic and Worcestershire sauce; blend well until smooth.
4. Add the tomato ketchup and soy sauce, season with black pepper and a little salt.
5. Pour the mixture over the chicken joints, coating evenly.
6. Bake in the oven for about 1 hour at the top of the oven. The chicken is cooked when the juices that run out when the thickest part of the thigh is prodded with a fork are clear; if pink, cook a little longer.