2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
1 onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, sliced
1 1/3 cup (100 g) mushrooms, sliced
1 medium chicken, jointed
2 tbsp oil
1 can mushroom soup
7 fl oz (200 ml) red wine
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt fresh double cream (heavy cream)
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F/150°C/Gas Mk 2.
2. Heat the butter in a pan, saute the onion and garlic until soft but not browned, add the mushrooms and cook gently for another minute.
3. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and place in a casserole dish.
4. Dust the chicken pieces with flour.
5. Heat the oil with the remaining fat in the pan and fry the chicken until evenly browned.
6. Place the chicken on top of the onions and mushrooms and pour over the tin of mushroom soup.
7. Cook in the oven for about 30 minutes, add the wine and cook for a further 30 minutes or until the chicken joints are cooked through and tender.
8. Stir in the cream and reheat gently. Do not allow it to boil.
13 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!