1 to 1 1/2 lb shark fillets, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup dry white wine or broth
3 tbsp butter or margarine
2 tbsp minced green onion, white part
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
cayenne pepper to taste
lemon wedges for garnish (optional)
1 slice bread
1. Make fresh bread crumbs from 1 slice of firm bread. Saute in 1 tablespoon butter until crisp. Toss with 1/2 teaspoon oregano. Sprinkle over fish before second baking.
2. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Place in a 3-quart baking dish. Pour the water and wine around the fillets.
3. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove fish to a buttered baking dish, large enough to hold fish in a single layer. Reserve 1/4 cup pan juices.
4. Melt butter in a skillet. Saute the onion quickly. Stir in flour. Cook and stir over moderate heat until golden.
5. Whisk in milk, oregano and reserved broth. Cook until sauce is thick. Season with salt, if desired.
6. Pour sauce over fish. Sprinkle with cheese and cayenne.
7. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes until sauce is bubbling.
8. Serve hot from oven. Garnish with lemon wedges, if desired.
9. Good served with broiled tomato halves, rice pilaf and French bread and a dry white wine.