1.4 kg (3 lb) leg of lamb
1 pt (600 ml) red wine
4 oz (100 g) onion, skinned and chopped
3 medium sized carrots, diced
1 level tsp (5 ml) salt
1/4 level tsp (1.25 ml) black pepper
5 sprigs parsley
2 sprigs thyme
5 tbsp (75 ml) olive oil
225 g (1/2 lb) salt pork
1 pigs foot, split
2 cloves garlic, skinned and crushed
4 firm red tomatoes, quartered
1. Put the lamb in a heavy gauge polythene bag, or in one thin bag inside another.
2. Place it in a large bowl and put into the bag the wine, onion, carrot, seasoning and herbs. Pour over the olive oil and marinade overnight.
3. Scrub the rind of the salt pork. Put it in a pan with the pig's foot, cover with water and bring to the boil.
4. Pour off the water and stand it in fresh cold water overnight.
5. Next day put the lamb and its marinade in a deep casserole.
6. Cut the rind off the pork and scissor-snip it into small squares, Cut the flesh into narrow strips. Add with the pig's foot, garlic and two tomatoes to the lamb. Cover tightly.
7. Cook in the oven at 150°C (300°F) mark 2 for about 3 1/2 hours. Baste the joint occasionally.
8. Skim the surface fat from the juices. Remove the lamb and keep it warm.
9. Strain the diced vegetables and spoon them round the joint. reduce the pan juices by a quarter by fast boiling and pour them over the meat.
10. Garnish with tomato quarters, skinned and seeded.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!