1 kg (2 1/4 lb) pork fillet
2 tbsp (30 ml) oil
1/3 cup (75 g) butter
8 oz (225 g) onions, skinned and chopped
2 1/4 cup (225 g) button mushrooms
3 tbsp (45 ml) plain flour (All purpose)
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt beef stock
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt white wine
freshly ground black pepper
1. Cut the pork into 3-4 cm ( 1 1/4 - 1 1/2in) pieces.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan,add the pork and cook quickly to brown and seal the surface. Remove from pan, transfer to an ovenproof casserole.
3. Heat 50 g (2 oz) butter in the frying pan, add the onions and cook slowly until soft. Add the mushrooms and quickly saute. Remove while still crisp and place over the meat.
4. Blend the flour into the remaining pan juices, adding remaining butter and gradually add the stock and wine. Blend to a smooth consistency.
5. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Adjust seasoning and pour into the casserole.
6. Cover and cook in the oven at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for about 1 3/4 hours until pork is fork tender.
7. Serve sprinkled liberally with chopped parsley. Garnish with croutons or sliced, toasted French bread.