1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) 2 oz (50 g) butter
1 small onion, skinned and finely chopped
2 lb (900 g) fresh peas, shelled
1.1 litres (2 pints) chicken stock
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) caster sugar (superfine granulated)
2 large sprigs of fresh mint
salt and freshly ground pepper
2 egg yolks, size 2
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt fresh double cream (heavy cream)
sprig of fresh mint to garnish
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until soft.
2. Add the peas, stock, sugar and sprigs of mint. Bring to the boil and cook for about 30 minutes.
3. Put the soup through a fine sieve or puree in a blender.
4. Return to the pan and add the seasoning.
5. In a bowl beat together the yolks and fresh cream and add to the soup.
6. Heat gently, stirring, but do not boil otherwise it will curdle.
7. Transfer to a soup tureen and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!