3 Tbsp (40 g) 1 1/2 oz butter
1 tbls (14 g) 1 1/2 oz flour (All purpose)
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml milk
3 oz (75 g) Lancashire cheese
salt and freshly ground pepper
4 oz (100 g) cooked smoked haddock, flaked into small pieces
1. To make the sauce, melt 15 g (1/2 oz) butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour and cook gently for 1 minute, stirring. Remove pan from the heat and gradually stir in the milk. Bring to the boil slowly and continue to cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens.
2. Grate 50 g (2 oz) cheese, add to the sauce and stir until melted. Season and keep warm. Cut the remaining cheese into 0.5 cm (1/4 inch) cubes.
3. Beat the eggs in a bowl. Add the cubes of cheese and the smoked haddock and season with freshly ground pepper and a very little salt. Beat with a fork.
4. Heat the remaining butter in an omelette pan. Fry half the egg mixture, but make sure it remains fairly fluid. Slide it on to a dish, cover with the cheese sauce and put under a hot grill until the top is nicely browned.
5. Make a second omelette in the same way. Serve immediately