3/4 cup 170 g (6 oz) butter
1/2 cup (100 g) 4 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup (75 g) self-raising flour
25 g (1 oz) cocoa powder
1 cup + 3 tbls (175 g) icing sugar (confectioners sugar), sifted
45 ml (3 level tbsp) chocolate spread
3 oz (75 g) bought marzipan
red and green colouring and jam to decorate
1. Butter and line the base of two 18 cm (7 inch) sandwich tins.
2. Whisk 100 g (4 oz) of butter and caster sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs a little at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in the sifted flour and cocoa. Divide the mixture between the tins and level the mixture with a knife.
3. Bake in the oven at 190°C (375f) mark 5 for about 20 minutes, until well risen and firm to the touch; cool on a wire rack.
4. Whisk the remaining butter, add the icing sugar gradually and beat until smooth. Add the chocolate spread and beat well. Use to fill and top the cake.
5. To make the chicks, use two-thirds of the marzipan to make two large and two small balls. Press the heads to the bodies. Colour half the remaining marzipan and roll out thinly. Cut diamonds for the beaks and small wavy strips for the cocks' combs. Stick on with the jam. Use currants for eyes. Make coloured easter eggs with any remaining marzipan. Place the decorations on the cake.
35 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!