a pinch of salt
grated rind of 1 lemon
caster sugar (superfine granulated) for dredging
2 thin slices candied or glace citron peel
200 ml milk
1 X 2.5ml spoon almond essence
1/2 cup (50 g) 2 oz flaked almonds
fat for greasing
1 stick (8 Tbsp)100 g butter or margarine
1/2 cup (100 g) 4 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
3 cups (300 g) plain flour (All purpose)
2 X 5 ml spoons baking powder
1. Grease and line a 15 cm cake tin.
2. Cream the fat and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Sift together the flour and baking powder.
4. Beat the eggs until liquid with the milk.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture in 3 parts, alternately with the egg and milk.
6. Beat well after each addition.
7. Lightly mix in the almond essence and the flaked almonds.
8. Turn lightly into the tin, and smooth the top level.
9. Bake in a warm oven, 160°C, gas mark 3, for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours.