350 (12 oz) cherries, stoned (seeded)
1/2 cup (125 g) 4 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml low-fat natural yogurt
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt fresh double cream (heavy cream)
2 egg whites
2 level tbsp (30 ml) icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
2 level tsp (10 ml) arrowroot
1. Simmer the cherries with the caster sugar in 150 ml (1/4 pint) water for 4-5 minutes.
2. Strain off the juices and reserve.
3. Reserve about six cherries for the sauce. Puree the remaining cherries, sieve and leave to cool slightly.
4. Lightly whip the fresh cream. Stir the fresh cream and yogurt into the cherry puree.
5. Whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
6. Add the icing sugar and continue whisking until stiff peaks form.
7. Gently fold into the fruit mixture.
8. Pour the mixture into a freezer container and freeze until firm.
9. For the sauce, mix the arrowroot to a smooth paste with a little water.
10. Stir into the reserved juices with the sliced cherries. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer until clear and thickened. Chill.
11. Transfer the cherry frost to the refrigerator to soften about 2 hours before serving.
12. Spoon into glasses, top with cherry sauce.
To freeze Freeze sauce and cherry frost separately.