12 thin slices topside
1 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 tbls (15 g) 1/2 oz butter
1 tbsp cooking oil
2 onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
345 ml (11 fl oz) meat stock
1 tbsp plain flour (All purpose)
for the mushroom stuffing
125 g (4 oz) mushrooms, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 tbsp (30 g) 1 oz butter
75 g (2 1/2 oz) ham, coarsely chopped
2 tsp dried or 2 tbsp chopped fresh
1. Place meat between two layers of cling film and flatten slightly with the palm of the hand.
2. Season meat with half the salt and pepper.
3. To prepare the mushroom stuffing, fry mushrooms and onion in butter until onion is translucent.
4. Combine mixture with remaining ingredients.
5. Spoon a little stuffing of your choice onto each meat slice, then roll up and secure with string or a cocktail stick.
6. Brown meat in heated butter and cooking oil. Add onion and garlic and saute until onion is translucent.
7. Add heated meat stock and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
8. Thicken sauce with a flour and water paste.
9. Remove string or cocktail sticks and serve.